To be included in LATITUDES tools must meet all of the following criteria:
- Designed to assess multidimensional aspects of validity of individual studies or reviews
- Designed for use in evidence synthesis
- Developed for use by the wider research community rather than for a single research group
- All versions of tools included; older versions of tool clearly marked as such with links to later versions
Criteria for LATITUDES key tools
LATITUDES key tools are indicated with a red rosette symbol in the library.
Key tools are those which fulfil all five of these criteria:
- Focuses on risk of bias, or makes a distinction between items that assess risk of bias and other aspects of study quality
- Offers a method to reach either a domain specific or overall assessment of risk of bias
- Used in at least one review that none of the tool authors were co-authors on or is an update to a previously recommended LATITUDES key tool
- Tool development involving a range of stakeholders from different disciplines (e.g. methodologists, statisticians, clinicians)
- Avoids recommending use of summary numerical quality scores.
Process for identifying tools
- Suggestions from advisory board
- Search of guidance for evidence syntheses
- Suggestions via the website
- Review of existing depositories and review articles
- Citation search of our paper on developing ROB tools
If you would like to suggest a tool you can do so here.